PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

I have a kitten with underdeveloped mussels in his back

Customer Question

I have a kitten with underdeveloped mussels in his back legs. I have had him for 5 weeks and he seems to have no control of his bladder or bowels. He just urinates and poops while walking. He doesn't even seem to know he does it. I have tryed to keep putting him the litter box and that didn't work. I have tryed to put a diaper on him he just take it right off. I have no clue what to do but he can't keep urinating and pooping all over my house. Do you have any suggestions.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today.

It's very likely that this kitten does not realize that there is an issue. He likely has either a congenital problem that has left a problem with his anal/bladder tone and he simply goes when he needs to or there is some variety of nerve damage resulting in the same. If he has not had any diagnostics performed by your veterinarian to determine the cause, I would start there.

Often, when using diapers we have to start with using a soft e-collar as well so that the cat will leave the diaper alone. Here are my favorite: http://www.healthypets.com/elizacollars.html?mr:trackingCode=9E749EFC-909B-E011-8D66-001517B188A2&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=plaonline&mr:ad=45500469767&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:tid=pla-146630749247&mr:ploc=9026249&mr:iloc=9026259&mr:store=&mr:filter=146630749247&gclid=CKeowsTVsc4CFQpsfgodJjoEWw

When applying this, you will want to let it fold back against the shoulders instead of sticking out forwards past the nose. Also, make sure you're using pet diapers (should have a spot for the tail) instead of neonatal human diapers as these tend to stay better on a pet's body.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in, Malinda. How is your companion doing?