Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.

We took our 13 year old neutered male cat to the vet Friday,

Customer Question

We took our 13 year old neutered male cat to the vet Friday, 8/5/2016 as he won't eat/drink. Our vet was off so another vet said he has fluid in his chest/abdomen. I asked if he should be given diuretics and they said no. Vet kept saying he needed an ultrasound but he didn't know how and to wait 2 hours until the emergency hospital opened and they would get the fluids out too. We just spent $3,500 at the vet and emergency hospital 7 months ago when he was diagnosed with diabetes and ketone(sp) acidosis. He is already a miracle and the diabetes is gone and now this. Because this vet didn't know how to do ultrasounds we were supposed to pay over $1,000 at the emergency hospital and we don't have any more money. I read that parsley tea is a diuretic so I made some and force feeding. I don't know what else to do. He won't eat or drink but he has urinated twice since yesterday but no bowel movements. Should I force feed him with a syringe?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help with the diabetes. What is the cat's name?
Customer: The diabetes is now in remission.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?
Customer: he has lost weight
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

I am very sorry to hear about your situation.

If this vet cannot offer an ultrasound and especially if they are not prescribing a diuretic or tapping the chest (which can be done without a scan in a situation like this), then you do need a second local opinion. That could be via the ER but it would also be worth ringing any other local vets. You can find some near you with . This is highly advisable since the fluid pressure on the lungs often restricts breathing and leaves cats unable to eat for not being able to spare a breath. As well, if its in the abdomen too, then it will compress the stomach and guts and reduce appetite that way

Unfortunately, parsley tea won't be of much aid for cats with chest fluid. Therefore, a chest tap would be the best next step. And if we can get that pressure away then he will likely eat on his own. Otherwise, we could syringe feed using a watered down calorie rich diet (ie Hills AD, Royal Canin Recovery, Clinicare, Catsure, kitten food). Still at the moment it would be better to address the fluid by having a vet (plus seeing the fluid type will help them diagnose what has caused this and ensure they choose the right medical treatment here) to get him comfortable and hopefully allow him enough breath to eat for us.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello again,

How is everything going with your wee one?

Warm regards,

Dr. B.