Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Hes not himself. He hasnt really eaten abything in the last

Customer Question

Hes not himself. He hasnt really eaten abything in the last 36 hours, and he ALWAYS drinks tins of water and now not really showing interest. Now that hes laying down and almost asleep i see that his breathing seems pretty rapid
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Momo and hes 3-4 years okd
JA: How old is Momo?
Customer: 3 1/2
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Momo?
Customer: He was moving slow and dry heaving yesterday and only spit came out
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Alsobwe looked it up and was thiking best case scenario it coukd be a hairball, so we put a little bit of petroleum jelly on his paw last night but theres been nothing come up yet
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Please answer
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

Any retching, gagging, lip licking, drooling, vomiting or diarrhea?

How fast is he breathing (just count his breaths for 10 seconds + multiply that number by 6)?

Can he pass urine and stool without any issue?

Are his gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Nothing coming out of his mouth. He's breathing a lot more normal now, but before he was breathing about 120 a minute. There doesn't seem to be pain when pressing on his belly. He still isn't drinking at all but his gums look like they'd be normal
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Him not drinking is extremely abnormal
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
We have so many ways of giving him water and he always takes
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He seems "okay" now but he's just not himself and not drinking. Eating now, but not normal or really that much at all
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you,

I am glad to hear that his breathing has settled and his gums are normal, since resting rates should be closer to 20-30bpm. So, we need to monitor that. Still since that isn't an ongoing issue just not but his appetite is poor and unable to drink as well as normal; then we'd be highly suspicious of underlying nausea. This can cause vomiting for some dogs but others will reduce or refuse to eat and drink for fear of vomiting. Common causes for this would be bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, general dietary indiscretions, and ingestion of harmful items (ie toxins, plants, non-edible items).

With this all in mind, as long as he can keep a bit of food and water down, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle his stomach. To start, if he hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest his stomach for a few hours first), then you can consider treating him with an antacid. Common OTC pet safe options would be Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though I'd note that if you give this and he cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Once that has had time to absorb and he is steadier on his stomach, you can consider tempting him on a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning him slowly back to his normal diet.

Overall, there are a wide range of agents could trigger the signs we are seeing with Momo. Its good that his breathing has settled, but we need to address any underlying nausea here. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to settle his stomach. If he cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours (since he is young); then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat him with injectable anti-nausea medication, appetite stimulants, fluids, +/- antibiotics to settle his stomach, and get him back feeling like himself.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.