Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian
Experience:  emergency and critical care resident
95200773

We have a kitten about 3 weeks old. It'seems eyes are

Customer Question

We have a kitten about 3 weeks old. It'seems eyes are severely matted shut. We have tried using water, but they haven'the unmatted yet. It looked like pus seeped out, yellowish colored, when we cleaned on it a few minutes ago. Is there something we can put on them to treat them?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Cookie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Cookie?
Customer: Just the eye problem is all.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 3 months ago.

I am sorry to hear that your kitten is having eye troubles. At this age, the eyes may still be closed as part of the normal development but with the pus that you describe the best thing to do is to open the eye gently so that it can be flushed out. You can do this by applying gentle traction on either lid using a moistened Q-tip. You may have to work at it for a few muted but eventually you should be able to work the eyelids apart. once the eyes are open you can use regular saline flush to clean them out. It is likely that the kitten will need eye drops to treat infection so I recommend making an appointment to see your =regular veterinarian tomorrow or as soon as you can get in.