Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

I have just noticed that my cat's bum has started leaking.

Customer Question

I have just noticed that my cat's bum has started leaking. It is also an abnormal colour, very dark brown all over.
she has been miaowing a lot more recently as well
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Cher replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome.

My name is ***** ***** I will be glad to be of help to you and your kitty.

How old is your kitty and is she spayed?

From your description, there are various possibilities of what could be causing this symptom. If she is not spayed, the dark leakage you see, could be coming from her vulva and she could have a serious uterine infection.

If she is spayed, she could be experiencing an intestinal problem which is causing leaking of dark brown diarrhea. She may have an intestinal obstruction and the liquid stool is leaking out around it. If the leakage is very dark brown, almost blackish and tar-like, this could be a condition called melena, which is stool with digested blood, coming from higher up in the intestinal system.

The leakage could also be from an anal gland problem. The anal glands are located on either side of the anus, under the skin. They contain fluid that could become infected or impacted and the vet needs to treat any infection and 'express' or empty the anal glands so the cat is more comfortable. Here is more information for you to read:

Her miaowing may indicate discomfort/pain, so considering that, plus her abnormal anal leakage, it would be best to have her seen in person by a vet as soon as possible. If your vet doesn't have weekend hours, you can bring her to the nearest ER vet center to have her evaluated, diagnosed and treated.

I hope all will be well with your furry girl!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed.

Warmest regards,

Expert:  Cher replied 2 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?