Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

I have a 3 year old cat, named Milo. He is extremely

Customer Question

I have a 3 year old cat, named Milo. He is extremely friendly, even with strangers that come to the house on occasion. He loves to be involved with us at home, loves to play, lets me know when he is hungry. He sleeps with us..... I noticed this week that he was puking up all his food...over a 3 day period he went from throwing up to not eating at all. On the third day it took him to the vet. Milo does not like going to the vet, vets have trouble to say the least, examining him. He turns very mean in the vets office. This vet on Friday took him to a back room to examine and do blood work and x-rays. She put him in a tank, with the assistance of her staff, and gave him gas, to sedate him enough to work on him. At one point I heard Milo really screaming for about a minute, then quiet again, she said he woke up and the had to give more gas. They did not give any diagnosis, said blook work and x-rays were all ok.... she gave him an anti biotic shot, a anti nausea shot and a distemper shot that he was due to receive this summer.
I took milo home and he went in his little house. He ate that night without puking. He has urinated a few times. But Milo is a totally different cat since coming home from the vet. He hides in dark places, not eating, I managed to get some water in him with a dropper. I once put him near his water and he drank a lot of water on his own. I brought some food to his hiding place this morning and he ate from my hand but then threw it up. He does not want anyone near him, hisses, meows angrily and bites. What happened to my cat ??? Should I find another vet, the charged me 517.00 and I dont know what is wrong with him, I am very worried about him.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb.

I recently came online and see that your question about Milo hasn't been answered. I'm so sorry that you've had to wait for a response, but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can.

What an absolutely horrible experience for you both! And, for Milo still to be ill is even worse, isn't it?

I have several thoughts as to what may be causing his symptoms which I'll list below. I suspect his change in personality at home is because he just doesn't feel at all well. I believe that's why he's hiding, too.

1. Despite normal blood work and x-rays, he could have an obstruction or a foreign body; in other words, he ate something he shouldn't have which is now lodged in his stomach or intestines.

X-rays aren't always definitive in such situations since objects such as sponges or fabric , etc. won't be seen. An obstructive pattern in the intestines may be suggestive of such a problem but usually additional testing such as a barium study or ultrasound are needed.

If he is obstructed, then he'll probably need surgery to remove whatever it is that he ate.

2. About 30% of cats with pancreatitis will vomit; they typically don't want to eat and may become reclusive. The blood work that was done rules out many conditions but it doesn't rule all of them out such as pancreatitis. We often have to request that a special pancreatitis test be done which can help confirm the diagnosis.

Treatment is primarily supportive which means we keep the patient hydrated, control the vomiting with medication and provide pain control (we think pain is why these cats behave as they do).

Given Milo's extreme dislike of vets, it's definitely going to be a challenge to try and determine what might be going on with him. If a pancreatitis test wasn't requested, your vet can ask that it be 'added-on' to the previous tests done since they already have his blood.

If the number is ***** then at least we have a provisional diagnosis. Treating him, however, is not going to be easy; however, having said that, Milo isn't the first cat (nor will he be the last) who becomes aggressive at a vet's office. If your vet feels intimidated by him, then perhaps it might be best to take him to another vet. The blood test results and x-rays can be shared with them.

I do have one suggestion which may help with his nausea: over the counter Pepcid AC (Famotidine) can be given at a dose of 1/4th of a 10 mg tablet twice a day. I'd crush the tablet, mix it with a very small amount of water in a syringe and squirt it into the side of his mouth. I'd normally suggest that you put the pill in canned food but since he's not eating and still nauseous, this obviously is not a method which will work.

I share your concern about Milo since if he only had a simple "gastritis", I'd have expected him to have responded to your vet's treatment. I also wouldn't have expected him to be behaving as you're seeing. In my opinion, something else potentially more serious is going on with him....although I wish I didn't think this:(

But, I hope this helps to at least provide additional options for you to consider and possible explanations for his symptoms.

Again, my profuse apologies for the delayed reply. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 4 months ago.

Hello again,

I'm just following up on Milo since it sounded as if he might have had some serious issues going on with him. How is he doing? Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Milo. How is everything going?

Dr. Deb