PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

We have a stray cat that has a severely injured tail ( skin

Customer Question

Hello, we have a stray cat that has a severely injured tail ( skin and fur completely stripped ) it's been coming around for about 6 months now so we feed it and let it stay in garage when it want's to,,, even uses the litter box. Problem is we have a indoor cat ( both are males ) and they don't get along. Are vet says ( over the phone ) it will probably need to be amputated and cost a lot of money, which we don't have and humanesociety says they most likely would put it down if we can't bring it in house.... Just need some direction here. Thanks for any and all help. BIG TIME CAT LOVER.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Do you have any clear photographs of the tail? or video?
2) How long has the tail been injured?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
About 2 weeks

Ouch. I'm with your vet on this one, amputation may be the best route. That said, if amputation is not an option, going with neosporin and time (and antibiotics, if needed, through your vet's office) will often leave the tail healed, if mangled.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
You mean like a spray on neosporin? And did I ad that we have been giving him a half of baby aspirin every other day. And will the neo sting( in which case he probably won't come back for help),,, and like I said earlier we do not have much money, and your bill just went up to $28, just wondering why?

No, you can use the topical ointment to apply directly, if he will permit it.

Like you, I am the user of the website. I use it to answer questions. I can contact customer service for you to look at the bill.