Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

My cat started throwing up today first it was now it's clear

Customer Question

My cat started throwing up today first it was brown now it's clear fo***** *****ke any suggestions what I can do I don't leave anything around the cat could have drank it ate. Thank you
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 4 months ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your boy that has just been sent through to me. I am sorry there hasn't been an expert available to answer your question already. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 4 months ago.

Hi again Kathleen,

Thank you again for your patience. There are a number of things that could be going on here with your boy this evening and we need to consider anything from an infectious gastroenteritis, to a toxicity (hopefully there isn't anything that he could have gotten into), to intestinal worms or even a foreign body obstruction. You will definitely need to continue to keep a close eye on him, and if this vomiting continues, then you will need to get him seen by your local ER or after hours vet tonight. Likewise, if he seems particularly lethargic now, you are best to try and find a local after hours vet to check him over straight away.

For now, make sure he has plenty of fresh water available and encourage him to drink. The biggest concern right now is that he could become dehydrated. If he won't drink or can't keep water down, then you are best to get him seen by your local ER vet tonight where they can start him on some intravenous (IV) fluids. You can with hold his food until the morning now, and from then you can start him on a bland diet of cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast and boiled white rice. Don't worry about getting him to eat tonight, but definitely encourage him to drink now and over night. If he isn't interested in drinking, then you could try making him up a fresh chicken broth. For this, just boil up some fresh chicken until cooked, scoop off the solids, allow the liquid to cool, then feed him this luke-warm broth.

For now, please keep an eye your boy's mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your boy doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting or open mouth breathing at all tonight, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

Best of luck with your boy and hopefully these symptoms settle in the next few hours. As above, if he can't keep water down, seems very lethargic, or if any of the parameters above don't seem right, then definitely play it safe and get him seen tonight. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.