Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

1 kitten (10 months) happy, playful & loving. Lost older cat

Customer Question

1 kitten (10 months) happy, playful & loving. Lost older cat 8 weeks ago. Brought in #2 kitten (5 months) 8 days ago. At first all was good-they had kitten races throughout the house, cuddled together. Both have similar personalities. Day 5: #1 kitten is reserved, tense and would prefer to be alone with one of us. Not playing with anyone. Not running from window to window looking out at birds. His nose is dry, ears are warm. Husband thinks he is ill.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 4 months ago.

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm a licensed veterinarian with more than twenty years of experience. I'm here to help with your question about your kittens.
I'm so sorry you're having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided. I'll do my best to earn your good rating, because that's the only way I receive any compensation for helping you.
In the meantime, in order to help me help you better, I'll need some more information. To start with, can you please tell me:

• Do you have a way to take Kitten #1's temperature?
  • Any other symptoms like a change in eating, drinking, or litterbox habits?

I'll be standing by and awaiting your reply.
Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you Dr. Jo. We don't have a thermometer, but can run down and get a rectal one. Eating, drinking & litter box habits are all the same.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for your quick reply and willingness to check a temperature. My initial response upon reading your description is that the kitten may indeed be ill.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 4 months ago.

Kittens are tough because they're so little and have so little reserve. They tend to show only the most subtle signs of illness in the beginning, and can subsequently seem to go downhill very quickly.

It's reassuring that eating, drinking and littlebox habits are the same, but hard to rule out the possibility of illness.

Knowing her temperature will help us have an objective measurement to add to the evaluation.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Awaiting your call. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 4 months ago.

Arranging call now. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 4 months ago.

I'm sorry. I have to wait until your payment clears to complete the phone call.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I just re-entered payment info. Awaiting your call. Thanks.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 4 months ago.

Great. Sorry there's been a problem with the website. I don't have access to any of that part of how the website works. I'll watch for the new call request to come through.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 4 months ago.

It still says payment failure on my end. I'll try rebooting.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Dr. Jo: BofA fraud alert called and the charges have been verified.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 4 months ago.

I wish I could be helpful. Unfortunately, I don't have access to anything having to do with payment or how the website works. I'm just a veterinarian who has logged in to see what questions I might be able to answer. The folks at customer support can help you with website and payment issues. On your screen there should be something you can click on to reach them.

I'm so sorry for all the frustration.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No problem. Our vet is closed today and I was just trying to get some help. I will send husband to get rectal thermometer. What is normal temp for a cat?
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 4 months ago.

Normal is anything between 100.0 to 102.5. Most kittens are in the 101 range.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you. Have a wonderful weekend.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 4 months ago.

You're welcome. I want to be as helpful as I can. In your case, if your kitten does NOT have a fever, I think it's okay to wait things out for a few days. If she does, I would seek emergency care over the weekend.

Once you get her temperature, please let me know if you have additional questions.

Please also remember I am here for you and am happy to discuss your question until you are satisfied with the answer I've provided. You may return to this page at any time to review this information and/or post more. You may do so even after you've rated my response. I'll be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help you.
If you are satisfied with the information I've provided, please take a moment to rate my response. I've done my best to provide you with the most accurate, thorough and up-to-date information that is available, and your positive feedback is important to me. Without it, I receive no compensation for helping you.
If you are not satisfied, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.
Thank you for using our website.