PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

Cat has started peeing and pooping out of the box. He has

Customer Question

Cat has started peeing and pooping out of the box. He has had times of peeing out of the box before, and had surgery to widen the urethra opening as he would get blockages and have the need to pee urgently. He has never pooped outside of the box until recently.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today.

It sounds like the surgery has done a great job of preventing future blockages, but both urinating and defecating outside of the box are classic signs of a urinary tract infection. Unfortunately, the perineal urethrostomy surgery does not prevent infections. It would be wise to go ahead and have him seen and started on antibiotics. Once the UTI has cleared, he should go back to urinating and defecating in the box as normal. You may also want to talk to your vet about a food that might help prevent future UTI's such as Hill's C/D or one of Royal Canin's foods that has the SO index present. These can help cut back even further on the urinary issues that cats, especially males, are so prone to acquiring.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800