Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.

My kitten has diarrhea. I got him from a farm where is

Customer Question

my kitten has diarrhea. I got him from a farm where is mother was killed. not sure how old he is are anything else. He is small but is playful and purrs
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your kitten?
Customer: He has diarrhea. He poops every hour. He gets to the litter box without a problem. He purrs and plays so other than the diarrhea he seems fine
JA: Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: cuttie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your kitten?
Customer: He came from a farm. HIs mom was a wild cat. There are other cats on the farm that are just fine
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is there anything I can give him to help this problem
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

Yes, I want you to worm Cuttie with an over the counter wormer containing pyrantel pamoate and then repeat the worming in 2 weeks. Infectious agents (parasites and viruses, mainly) are the most common cause of diarrhea in kittens. If you think that he's older than 7 weeks of age, it's time for his first vet visit during which he should be thoroughly examined including a fecal oval and parasite exam and testing for the feline leukemia virus (FeLV) and feline immunodeficiency virus (FIV) and then given his initial vaccinations if appropriate to do so.

We don't usually give antidiarrheal remedies or prescription drugs to little kittens; instead, we prefer to find the cause of the diarrhea and address that specifically. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you. He is going to the vet in 3 days so that is good.

Good to hear! I'd like him to be wormed now, however, which could get rid of that diarrrhea prior to his vet visit. Please continue our conversation if you wish.