Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic cats, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

My cat is breathing deeply. Her stomach goes in and out as

Customer Question

My cat is breathing deeply. Her stomach goes in and out as if she was in labor. She's eating well, drinking normal for her. She's a less active than she usually is. It has been hot where I live but we have air conditioning.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your cat?
Customer: I think she's lost a little weight. Stools are good not loose.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 6 months ago.

Hello!

Thank you for your question I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

I'm sorry your cat is breathing this way and worrying you. When a cat starts breathing with excessive effort like you are seeing there are usually a few causes for it none of which are particulary good unfortunately. The first is fluid accumulating in the chest putting pressure on the lungs requiring her much more effort to get in each breath. The second is heart disease. This causes minimal oxygen to get to her muscles trigger her body to try to breathe harder to get more oxygen. The third is anemia (very low red blood cells) also causing minimal oxygen to get to her body and causing harder breathing. The fourth is silent pneumonia. The silent means there is no obvious coughing or sneezig or other symptoms of illness. All of these probelms can be discovered through an xray and blood tests. When we figure out exactly what we are dealing with then we can figure out the cause and therefore the treatment. As long as she doesn't seem to rapidly worsen over night then she doesn't need to see the emergency vet but she does need to see the vet before the weekend starts . I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions, if it did help, please leave a rating. Dr. Dan