Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

Can a cat get rabbit from our infected rabbits. Cat is not

Customer Question

Can a cat get rabbit syphilis from our infected rabbits. Cat is not in the cages but spends a lot of time around them with discarded hay etc.
Thank you for a response.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 4 months ago.

Hi there,

Thank you for your question regarding syphilis in cats. You will be happy to hear there aren't any documented cases of syphilis in cats, so there having your cat in the discarded hay wouldn't cause any issue from that respect. The only other potential issues to consider would be the spread of fleas (make sure you treat the cat and the rabbits - Advantage is a good product), and also the potential spread of Cheyletielle mite (walking dandruff) which could definitely affect your cat from the discarded hay. For this the product 'Advantage Multi' or 'Revolution' would be best - but do follow up with your vet to find the most appropriate flea/mite treatment for Pepper.

I hope this gives you some peace of mind! If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 3 months ago.

Hi again,

How is Pepper doing now? Hopefully she is still interacting with the rabbits, and hopefully you managed to get some flea treatment for all of them.

An update would be great when you get a chance.

Kind Regards,

Dr E