stumvb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal vet since 2001, with a postgraduate qualification in feline internal medicine.

I have a 11 year old flame point Siamese cat, she is

Customer Question

i have a 11 year old flame point Siamese cat, she is asthmatic. She is acting very angry and aggressive, ears are extremely hot, eyes are large, keeps kicking back legs out when laying and walking, pads are normal temp but bright red along with ears being bright red. Cat has never seizured before, I do have a cat that has addison's disease so I am familiar with seizures, does not appear to be a normal seizure that I have seen previously, as this has been going on for about an hour, which seizures I know don't last as long.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the Siamese cat's name?
Customer: Trinity
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Trinity?
Customer: other then what is going on right now, trinity is normally healthy and fine other then the occasional asthma attack which happens maybe twice a year. does not take daily meds for asthma because the attacks are so infrequent.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  stumvb replied 2 months ago.

Hi, Dr. Stuart here, I'm a cat veterinarian in Ireland. Thank you for your question. Given Trinity's unusual behaviour, there are a few possibilities I would consider likely. Given your previous experience with seizures, this is obviously something you would be on the lookout for, but it is worth bearing in mind that different animals manifest seizure activity in different ways, especially cats. So-called psychomotor seizures can look simply like unusual or frantic behaviour, or can manifest as behavioural changes, and it is possible for these to continue for an indefinite period.

However, it is more likely (purely because common problems are common as one of my college professors loved to point out) that Trinity is for some reason irritated or in pain. I take it as you look at her you cannot see any sign of fleas or skin irritation (apart from the reddened extremities)?

Will she let you pet her at the moment without scratching or biting? Does she seem to react when you touch her in one particular area? Has she eaten or used her litter tray today?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i can pet trinity, but seems very irritated. does not appear to be in pain, did a spinal check (pressing on vertebrae, down entire spin) there is no drooling, did eat normally today and used the litterbox. no change in diet or litterbox use or amount. just gave a 1/2 cc of depo in case a reaction to something (ie. spider bite). trinity is an indoor only cat, but occasionally i do get a spider in the house and just thought of this because it was similar behavior about 4 years ago.
Expert:  stumvb replied 2 months ago.

Ok that's great, most cats are pretty good to complain if you hit a sore spot! So again using an educated guess I would say it may be some sort of skin irritation/allergic reaction. Did you have depo at home for her for some other reason? The only problem with this drug is it would be very slow to kick in, and if this is an acute reaction to something it may not be the most effective thing to use. If you have piriton (chlorphenamine) in the house you could safely try her with 2mg (1/2 a 4mg tablet); this should have a quicker onset of action.

Expert:  stumvb replied 2 months ago.

Just another point worth making while we're in touch- if this did happen to be a psychomotor episode a video of the event would be extremely useful for your own veterinarian to see. If she does not seem less agitated within an hour of giving an antihistamine dose then I would advise you have her check 'in the flesh' at your local clinic.

I hope this is helpful- please feel free to continue chatting if you need more information.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i do have chlorphenamine, i will give a dose of that too. my vet keeps me fully stocked because of the special needs kids i take in, he just happens to be on vacation this week and i don't like his associate! i actually left a message for my vet on his cell phone too! thank you.
Expert:  stumvb replied 2 months ago.

Sometimes it can be very handy having a fully stocked medicine cabinet! You're most welcome, I hope Trinity is feeling better. Thanks for your custom.

Expert:  stumvb replied 2 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Expert:  stumvb replied 2 months ago.
I hope Tiffany is doing ok since we spoke. I notice that the charge for our conversation remains outstanding. I would be grateful if you could settle this as soon as possible. Thank you.