Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My 16 year old cat Poe is walking without using one of his

Customer Question

my 16 year old cat Poe is walking without using one of his back legs. He's not in distress and doesn't mind us massaging his hind quarter, its as if it fell asleep. He has been on special food for years for his renal failure. Could he possibly have diabetes or need some potassium?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did Poe have a fall?
Customer: Not that we know of, he never was a big jumper. Poe is an indoor boy with daily visits outside. Hy stepson noticed it late last night. I was hoping it would be better this morning, but its not. No swelling or scrapes.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Poe?
Customer: he's an orange tabby with big green eyes who talks alot in the middle of the night.. it sound like hes saying hello. He was rolled by a car 9 years ago and has only now wanted to hang out outside again. He stays close to the house. His best friend Carlos had to be put to sleep in February, and Im pretty sure that talking at night is looking for him. For a 16 year old his weight is great and he looks young. but maybe his kidney food does that for him. He does still drink and pee alot... more info than needed,but now you have the whole picture
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Is he lifting it or dragging it?

Can he move that leg on his own at all? If you pinch the toe, does he look like he knows you have?

Is the leg colder then his other legs?