Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian

My cat may have gotten two-part epoxy varnish on her face,

Customer Question

My cat may have gotten two-part epoxy varnish on her face, may have ingested a tiny amount and irritated her eyes. She hasn't thrown up and her eyes teared up immediately. I cleaned her up with warm water and mild soap as per cleaning instructions and made sure her eyes were clear. I'm still worried if she's going to be okay. She's a bit sluggish but I think it was mostly the scare she is coming down from. Any advice?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 2 months ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that Blanca got into your varnish. You did the right thing to clean her face and fur with the soap and water. Dawn dish soap is a great product to have on hand for emergencies like that. Were you able to flush her eyes with the warm water as well? How are her eyes now? Are they still watering or have they returned to normal?

If you were able to wash her immediately with soap and remove all of the varnish from her fur, she should be fine. Most of those products, while dangerous, aren't too bad if you wash them off immediately. If you are really concerned, you can have your regular vet check her in the morning and check her liver enzymes with blood work.

Does this help? What other questions do you have?

Dr. Amanda

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Her behavior has returned to normal, while maybe a bit tired from the scare. Her eyes are no longer watering and they seem to have been flushed thoroughly enough. I'm a little disappointed that it took So long to get someone on this. In the time I waited, for he amount I paid for a high priority potential poisoning, I feel like there wasn't much of a sense of urgency. I was able to figure it out myself from then on. I think she will be okay, but again, a little disappointed with the service time. Thanks anyway I guess.

I am sorry that you had concerns about the response time. Your question popped up in my feed and I answered it as soon as it came through. I do see, though, that it was posted about 20 minutes prior to my answer. If you want to contact customer service, there is link on your home page where they can address your concernes.

I am so glad to hear that your kitty is returned to normal now. Some of those chemicals can be very irritating and you did the right thing by washing her.

Please feel free to contact me in the future if you have any more questions,

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks, I'll have a chat with customer service. Please have a nice day.

Thank you,

Dr. A

Customer: replied 2 months ago.