Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

I have a 15 yr old cat, mostly an indoor cat. Goes out once

Customer Question

I have a 15 yr old cat, mostly an indoor cat. Goes out once in a while. She has stopped eating. She drinks water. Not peeing much if any. It has been hot/ humid this past week. I am so worried. I am not mobile(wheelchair). This has been going on 5 days or so. Please advise
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Do you have an opinion on what to do?
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear that your girl Houdi isn't feeling well and is eating poorly and not urinating much.

Lack of an appetite can be related to eating something she should not have, too many treats or table food, eating foreign material (which could cause a full or partial gastrointestinal obstruction), chronic pancreatitis, a dietary allergy or sensitivity, toxin exposure, a viral or bacterial infection, inflammatory bowel disease, heartworm disease, hyperthyroidism (a tumor of the thyroid gland) with secondary internal organ failure, or even infiltrative cancers such as lymphoma.

Because she hasn't eaten normally in several days and she isn't urinating much I am very concerned about her. If she isn't drinking as much as she should she will quickly become dehydrated too, and as her liver breaks down fats for energy to live she may develop a type of liver disease called hepatic lipidosis. That is when the liver becomes overwhelmed breaking down fats for energy to live and is unable to perform its normal work of metabolizing and clearing toxins. That can be deadly for her.

Ideally she would see a veterinarian today since this has been going on for more than 72 hours. Simple stomach upset should pass within 24 to 48 hours. They could examine her, run blood tests and possibly check radiographs and/or an ultrasound to evaluate her and know best how to treat her.

In the meantime they can administer injectable anti-nausea drugs and fluids to rehydrate her.

I understand that you may have difficulty getting her there due to your physical limitations. If you cannot have her seen for whatever reason there are some things you can try at home.

At home to try and settle her stomach you can give either:

1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of ¼ of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 12 hours

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of ¼ of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 24 hours

These are acid reducers and may help her feel less nauseous so that she will eat. They are quite safe and can be used long term if necessary.

You can use a medicine syringe to try and force water or broth into her orally.

A couple of hours after giving the acid reducer I recommend offering meat baby foods or a bland diet of 2/3 boiled minced white skinless chicken and 1/3 boiled white rice mixed with some low salt chicken broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow.

If she continues to not eat she should see her veterinarian for an examination, diagnostics and intravenous fluids and supportive care.

Perhaps you can find a mobile veterinarian to come to your home. Here is a link to help you find one in your area, use the house call locater section:

http://www.vetlocator.com/index.phpPlease let me know if you have any further questions.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your kitty Houdi. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****