Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

He has thrown up, feces leaking from his rear. He is weak

Customer Question

He has thrown up, feces leaking from his rear. He is weak and drooling. Stinks badly
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not that we can find. He's straining and pushing/tightening his stomach every 90 seconds or so
JA: What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Nova age 1
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Nova?
Customer: Seems like blood is mixed in with the stool
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He's straining, leaking more fluid from his rear. Throwing up a clear liquid
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 4 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

Do you know if he has urinated in the last 12-24 hours?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Not that we have seen so far
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He is straining, trying to have a BM but all that comes out is blood and a little feces. Thick drool coming from mouth, will barely move. Vomiting every fluid I try to give him. Weak, will barely open eyes.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 4 months ago.

Ok. That's what I was worried about.

I would guess that he's blocked. A urinary obstruction in cats is very common and most owners think they are constipated. They go from normal to straining/ pain to vomiting to lethargy and potentially death all within a fairly short period of time.

Treatment is by unblocking them with a urinary catheter, then putting them on IV fluids to flush out the kidneys.

Here is a nice handout on the condition:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1111

I would get to a vet asap to treat this. It is a life threatening emergency.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
His anus is quite large for the size that he is..I live in a small area and all the vets will be opening by 8am. It is now 2:15am in Texas. I keep gently wiping his bottom to remove any blood and feces and he barely makes a move. This has happened in less than 24hrs, he was completely fine night last.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 4 months ago.

This may be some constipation and a large fecal ball that is stuck. If that's the case, you may be able to use warm water squirted into the anus as an enema. I typically use warm soapy water or warm water and a water based lubrication. That can soften any hard stools and help him pass it.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He keeps pushing and straining, what object would be best for a cat enema? Type of soap? He is very weak, will not swallow anything unless I put the bottle in the back of his throat. At this point I think his internals are shutting down slowly. The way he drools and his behavior is making me have doubts :(
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 4 months ago.

I'm worried too. I would really try to go to a 24 hour vet. It may take a drive, but there should be something around. Call the local vets and see where they refer emergencies.

I just use hand soap and warm water or lube and warm water with a long tube type catheter. A turkey baster may be the best option at home. I think this should be the last option if there really isn't any ER around.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?