PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

17 year old male cat stopped eating and drinking lost a lot

Customer Question

17 year old male cat stopped eating and drinking lost a lot of weight. Looks at food and water but will not eat or drink , sleeps a lot.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) When was the last time that Puck had blood work run?
2) How long has it been since he ate normally?
3) Any vomiting or diarrhea?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
since he is my neighbors cat i am taking care of I do not know last blood work. I am sure it has been at least 1 year. He had a tooth infection.
He has not been eating normally for at least a week. Now nothing
no vomiting or diarrhea. I am not sure he is even urinating because he is not even drinking water.

There are a myriad of concerns for Puck at this point.

The first thing we need to be worried about is liver failure. Without eating normally, a cat's liver will begin to start failing in about 3 days time. When they stop eating entirely, the risk increases drastically.

The second concern is for dehydration, because he's not drinking well.

Finally, we have to worry that an underlying condition has caused all of the symptoms. At 17 years of age, he's at risk for quite a few health concerns including kidney disease, liver disease, diabetes, hyperthyroidism, etc.

I would highly recommend that you reach out to this family just as soon as you can and try to get Puck to a veterinarian. This is going to be is best chance at survival. If the family feels that its his time, humane euthanasia would be more kind than allowing his body to slowly fail.

At home, there are some things that you can try. The first thing is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can buy the brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. 2 hours following this, try some pureed baby food in chicken or turkey flavors to see if he's interested. You may need to place a small amount into his mouth to stimulate his appetite. You can also offer pedialyte or low sodium chicken broth if he's interested in either of these.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: