Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

My cat Midnite has been gagging and behaving as if he is

Customer Question

My cat Midnite has been gagging and behaving as if he is trying to bring up a hairball without success. This has been going on for two and a half days. He is eating and drinking just fine. No one has seen him use the litter box; but then we live in the mountains and all three of our cats are outside a lot. As far as we know he has not been vomiting. He brings us "gifts" when he is out and about. (birds, baby rabbit and of course mice). When he was less than a year old he had an enlarged kidney for which he spent a week in Vets office being treated. I had him checked by his Vet before we moved here. We went from sea level to 9000 ft, (I was the only one who had trouble breathing and having altitude sickness.) Which means his activity level seems normal we have been here since 12/15. Do you have any suggestions or ideas. We have tried H,artz kitty laxative with no results We have to put it on his paw and he grooms it off , unless he can get one of his sisters to do it. (everyone else is regular except him!)
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Midnite. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

So he is not vomiting, just gagging?

He could be coughing. When cats cough, it looks very much like "dry heaves" or vomiting without bringing up anything. They lower their heads, stretch out their necks, and make heaving body motions and make sounds that sound a lot like vomiting. It can be hard to tell if a cat is vomiting or coughing sometimes.

Hairballs usually are passed either in the stool, or vomited up. If he had a hairball stuck in his stomach, I would expect he would be eating less, or vomiting. I would need to see what he is doing, but I suspect he might be coughing. Here is a video of a cat coughing; is this similar to what Midnite is doing?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

If he is coughing, it could be allergies, a respiratory infection, or more serious things such as heartworm or fluid in the lungs.

Let me know what other questions I can answer, and if this video looks like the gagging he is doing.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

I hope you were able to see my response; I have not heard from you! How is Midnite doing? Let me know if this was helpful and if you have any more questions.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

It is sad for me when I never hear back from a customer; I don't know if my response was seen or if it helped you. How is Midnite doing?