Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.

We just adopted a six month old kitten from Help for

Customer Question

We just adopted a six month old kitten from Help for Homeless pets. He has all his shots and in neutered. He developed a bald spot around his neck. At first he had a red bump and now he has gray scab looking marks. Could it be healing?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Bosley
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bosley?
Customer: No, we did have to wait to bring him home, because he started sneezing and the vet had him on a round of antibiotics.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

My primary concern with these spots in young kittens is that they represent ringworm - a fungal infection that can spread to you and other pets. It may be healing unaided but it and the rest of his skin need to be carefully examined for other areas suggestive of ringworm.

Can you upload a photo(s) of this spot to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see that icon) or you can use an external app such as I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.

Please check the photo(s) before uploading to make sure that they're in focus.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?