Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Trying to get a feral mom fixes but can't pick her up took a

Customer Question

trying to get a feral mom fixes but can't pick her up took a year to touch her have been feeding her and 2 other strays, her 3 kittens (unferal). Feeding time in my home is twice a day other than dry food thru out. Is there anything I can slip in her food that will sedate her lightly enough for me to kennel her for the trip to vet?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: I've called her baby girl looks like a Russian but she had a litter of 3 kittens now 9 weeks trying to get them placed, but she needs fixed. I was able to stop her from pregnancy the 1st 2 heats by locking her in, she hated it and my pets hated it too, they are now mad at me for the over care, so am desperate to get her fixed in a program TNR, but have tried so many ways and times to get her trapped and she's too smart, Help, the only way I see possible is to slip her sedative and crate her the night before the trip to spay.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the kitten?
Customer: she is a very small framed cat quess is 9lbs
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 4 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for taking care of this girl and helping her to have the care that she needs. It can be a definite challenge to get some caught to take them to the vet. I greatly thank you for wanting to get her to the vet to have her spayed! That will help control the pet population in your area. Honestly, there isn't anything you're going to have that you can safely slip into her food on an at home basis to help catch her. What may be the best thing is to actually get a live trap and place food in it to then have her go in to trap her when she eats. These are a lot of times available at the local animal control offices for local residents to utilize.