Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.

I have a 4 month old kitten. He jumped on the stove and I

Customer Question

I have a 4 month old kitten. He jumped on the stove and I think he burned his paw and is favoring it. What can I do for him until I get him to the vet tomorrow?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

I am very sorry to hear that your wee one has burned his paw. Now you are right to have him see his vet as soon as they are open since we'd want him on kitty safe pain relief (human OTC ones are toxic for them) +/- antibiotics if this is severe. Though in the meantime, you want to make sure the burn has been run under cool water to wick away the heat of the burn. Afterwards, you can apply a thin layer of aloe vera gel but when you do cover the foot with a small sock or he needs an e-collar to prevent licking (as aloe is great for burns but causes severe stomach upset if ingested). Avoid Vaseline or other thick ointments that will lock in the heat. Otherwise, we need to keep this clean and away from anything that could stick to the wound until his vet can treat any blistering that may follow.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )