Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc

My kitty is 5 Months old and he start coming yesterday he

Customer Question

My kitty is 5 Months old and he start coming yesterday he ate a little ponytail plant and threw it up
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your kitten will be able to digest that. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Tiger
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tiger?
Customer: He stopped vomiting last night and now he doesn't want to eat I took him to the vet and they only have him buprenorphine
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He vomit last night bile twice and hasn't throw up since than, he ate a little bit of his kitten food in the morning but nothing else so he hasn't use the litter box in all day
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 months ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your boy Tiger. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 months ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. It certainly sounds like your boy is quite nauseous after eating this plant, and gastrointestinal upset would definitely be expected after this ingestion. We also have to consider whether the long leaves of this plant could cause an issue in his GI tract if he didn't manage to vomit up all of the plant. As they are quite long, these long leaves could potentially cause a telescoping of the bowel, and as such you are going to need to continue to keep a very close eye on Tiger over the next 24 - 48 hours. These long leaves could also get lodged up over his soft palate in his mouth/throat, so if he starts coughing and gagging, then we definitely have to consider this.

For now, you are best to continue to try and convince him to eat small amounts of his kitten food. Keep encouraging him to drink plenty of water as well, and hopefully he is happy to do this. Continue to monitor his toileting, and hopefully he is urinating without an issue. If he hasn't urinated all day, or if he seems to be having trouble urinating, then you will need to get him back down to your local vet. The buprenorphine will hopefully help with some of his nausea and abdominal discomfort, however he may need an antiemetic drug to stop the vomiting if that continues.

For now, please keep an eye your boy's mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your boy doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting or open mouth breathing at all tonight, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

Hopefully he starts eating better and is drinking plenty of water. IF these symptoms above continue, or if the parameters above aren't normal, then you will need to get him back down to your local vet or ER vet again. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.