Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

This is intended to be a continuance of our conversation

Customer Question

Hi. This is intended to be a continuance of our conversation last week regarding my cat and her third eyelids. I have an additional question regarding my vets recommendations.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 4 months ago.
Hello,I'm Camille, and I’m a moderator for this topic. I sent your requested Expert a message to follow up with you here, when they are back online.
If I can help further, please let me know. Thank you for your continued patience.
Best,
Camille
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I see that my moderator sent you back to me. How can I help you?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi. I had one more question regarding my cat Jean. She is the one we spoke about last week who has had her third eyelids half closed. Do you recall?

Certainly. I suggested waiting another few weeks to see if she normalized.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
As a recap. he initially prescribed a combination antibiotic and steroid in drops. He said I should begin to notice some improvement in 48 hours. After several days of that, I thought her eyes were looking red in the whites and in the eyelid, so he switched to a different antibiotic and a separate NSAID in drops. I didnt give both. I gave the NSAID for 3 full days, saw no improvement and then switched to the antibiotic, which I had give for 4 full days and still was noticing no improvement. At that point I called him and he said it had not improved because I had not given both medications simultaneously. Then I wrote you and discussed whether she really had an infection and whether or not to use antibiotics.
So I meant to ask at that time if giving both medications at the same time would have made any difference, or if she did have an infection, would not the antibiotic alone treat it, albeit maybe not as quickly. I gave her a couple days more doses of antibiotic after speaking with you last tuesday, and then I stopped. her eyelids are still partially closed, if that is the correct terminology, but not as far closed as they were 5 weeks ago when this started. So she continues to behave in a very healthy fashion in all ways, but my question is about why I was advised that the medication wouldnt work unless I used both at the same time.

Right...and I wouldn't have prescribed anything. No, there's no reason to believe that administering the medications concomitantly would have made any difference. We have no evidence that a systemic antibiotic nor antiinflammatory is of value for Haw's syndrome whether given alone or concomitantly. She sounds like she's remissing and continues to be otherwise well. That's enough evidence that treatment continues to be unnecessary. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
by systemic antibiotic you include drops, right?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Eye drops.

No, eye drops are designed to stay in the eyes. Systemic antibiotics work throughout the body - systemically. But the gist is the same - you can remove the word "systemic" in that sentence and it would still be accurate.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Okay, well I am thinking regardless I gave the antibiotics a good run. I think it looks somewhat better and I hope its not because of the antibiotics since I stopped them on Fri. Also, I wormed her, on Thur.
My 8 y/o female cat began urinating inappropriately in smaller amounts, so the vet did urinalysis, and found crystals but not anything else ( no infection) and wanted to treat with antibiotics. I questioned this. Can you explain it to me? I have used vit C to acidify tract but Adair is a picky eater, so hard to hide in food. Or might one use cider vinegar?

I regret that I'm not allowed to discuss another pet in this question (unless the pets shared the same disease). Please open up a new question and type "for Dr. Michael Salkin, only") if you wish. I'm sorry for the nuisance.