Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

My much loved 8(?) yr old rescue Bengal feline has begun

Customer Question

My much loved 8(?) yr old rescue Bengal feline has begun urinating on my bed and other inappropriate places. She has never done this before, always using one of the two litter boxes that are on the first and second floors of the house.
I presume this must be a physiological issue as she has always been a
very "tidy" cat -( no pun intended !)
Is there a "pharmaceutical" solution to this problem?
Sophie's mother
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is there a pharmaceutical solution to this problem?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry to hear your cat is urinating in inappropriate places. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

If she has never done this before, I would first rule out a physical problem, such as a bladder infection, or bladder stones, by doing a urinalysis. She may just need a course of antibiotics for an infection, or a diet change for bladder stones. She may need to have blood tests and/or an Xray if the urinalysis appears normal.

If there is no sign of any physical problem with her then you have to treat it as a behavior problem, which is not so easy: multiple litter pans, very clean, with unscented clumping litter; adding Cat Attract, an herbal product, to the litter; no hoods or covers on the litter boxes; keeping your bedroom door closed so the bed is off limits; Feliway diffusers (emit calming phermomones); prescription anti anxiety medications.

This is probably not a behavior problem, however, since it just suddenly started. A urinalysis should be the first step and may be all you need to do to find the problem and treat it.

Let me know if this is helpful and what other questions I can answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

I hope you were able to see my response; I have not heard back from you! Let me know how Sophie is doing and if this was helpful.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

Did my answer help at all? When I never hear back from a customer, I never know if my response was seen, or helpful. I hope Sophie is doing better.