Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat has horrific sneezing fits. Must I live with it or is

Customer Question

my cat has horrific sneezing fits. Must I live with it or is their treatment
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has she had these signs?

Any nasal discharge? What color? From one or both nostrils?

Any changes in her breathing? Or snoring?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
1. since adopted 3 to 4 years.
2.discharge yes, nostril, nostrils, cannot say for sure.
3. slight snoring sound
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
discharge is kind of white in color
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you,

If your lass has had these signs for a few years and has snoring, this dose raise a few concerns. Specifically, we could see this with a chronic cat flu infection, allergies, fungal, polyps, or masses (les likely at her age).

With this all in mind, it would be ideal to have a check with her vet at this stage. If a polyp is present, these are easily removed (under sedation of course), and flu agents and allergies can be managed for our kitties. And clearing what is present will help you both avoid a lifetime of sneezing.

Otherwise, in the meantime, there are some supportive measures you can consider. To start, if she is sneezing and congested you can take her in the bathroom while you run a hot shower. The steam will help loosen and clear some of the snot congesting her. You can also use a baby nebulizer or humidifer, but often they don’t like things held up to their faces. If she doesn't, then you can make a little ‘steam tent’ with her in her carrier with a sheet over that and the humidifier.

If she is building up mucus that the steam isn't shifting, you can use a cotton ball moistened with warm water to wipe away crust and mucus. Furthermore, you can use saline nasal drops like Ocean Mist or little noses (but not anything medicated) to further reduce discharge build up. To do so, just tilt her head back and drop two to three drops in one nostril. Cats hate this, but it helps. After the drops go down, you can let the head up and wipe away any discharge that gets loosened. Then repeat with the other nostril.

Finally, we can use an antihistamine to reduce any allergies. Now there are a few different pet safe options but since we want to also reduce congestion (and there are no OTC safe decongestants for cats), I'd suggest trying her with Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.25 mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can be used and we do like to keep them low since it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.

Overall, her long term signs raise a few issues. So, we can use the above to try to reduce these for her. Though we’d also want to have her local vet involved (consider moving up her next booster appointment) so we can pinpoint which issue is present and address it for her.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.
Hi Carlton,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Kit Kitty. How is everything going?

Dr. B.