Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

She has a bloody discharge coming from her eye. She is

Customer Question

She has a bloody discharge coming from her eye. She is sneezing and breathing very loudly.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Sophie, 13.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about sophie?
Customer: she has had chronic respiratory problems. I have had her for 6 years. She had an antibiotic shot about a month ago with no relief. the bloody discharge is a new symptom but has had a lot brown or clear discharge for a while. I have to clean off her face constantly.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry to hear about these concerns for Sophie. I am preparing an answer right now.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 months ago.

First, the antibiotic shot. Unless it was convenia, which lasts for 14 days in the body, any other shot was pointless. But! Even if it was convenia, that is not a great antibiotic choice for a upper respiratory infection.

Hving had chronic respiratory issues, I would make a very good bet that there is likely a primary underlying viral condition (especially herpesvirus), which is predisposing to all these respiratory problems.

Nonetheless, you still need to get the respiratory infection under control and get appropriate eye medication as well.

So, you need to get back in to the vet or select another vet for a second opinion.

For recurrent respiratory infections, very good antibiotic choices tend to be either doxcycyline (never in tablet form for a cat. Always the liquid). Or zithromax. Yes, we use zithromax in cats as well.

Also, for the high suspicion for a underlying herpesvirus, I would definitely ask your vet for a lysine supplement like Viralys or Enisyl. It can help over time.

Hope that information helps