Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.

My female cat of 4 1/2 yrs has water coming out from the

Customer Question

Hi,My female cat of 4 1/2 yrs has water coming out from the left eye. I've noticed this for last week or 10 days. It happens at no specific time of the day.She goes out of house 3 times a week. She was bitten by a stray cat almost 3 weeks back which was treated with wound healing ointment & antibiotic. She was given rabies shot in Jan 2015 (1.5 yrs back). Can this be a cause for watery eyes? Her de-worming is also due.Regards,
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

Ashwin, you've described epiphora - excessive tearing - in that eye. There's no reason to believe that it's related to her bite nor the need for worming. Instead, I would look for a conjunctivitis - usually infectious as from the feline herpesvirus (FHV-1), and I would check her cornea for abrasion or ulceration by means of flouroscein staining/examining under a Wood's lamp (UV light). Her vet will want to carefully examine that eye and I encourage your having that done if only because eyes can "go south" in a hurry.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you Dr. Michael.I'll check with my vet for flouroscein staining test however I doubt If they've this one. What would be course of treatment of corenea abrasion. I was able to stretch my cats eye but couldn't see any visible injury or blood marks.Can you advise an eye drop to treat conjunctivitis, something that does not have burning sensation.Regards,

I understand your constraints where you live. I speak to customers from India often. A corneal abrasion (or infectious conjunctivitis) is usually treated with an ophthalmic antibiotic ointment such as BNP (bacitracin-neomycin-polymyxin B) ointment. As long as we can prevent infection in the abrasion or ulcer, the cornea should be able to heal itself. Avoid drops that contain decongestants ("get the red out") which only mask the problem. Artificial tears or just saline is safe but I'd prefer to presumptively treat with something like BNP. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Can you suggest of dosage & composition (i.e.) how many mg should it contain?Also, my cats a bit finicky so she will use her paws to rub the ointment & lick it off. Is that safe?Regards,

These ophthalmic ointments come with standardized doses of antibiotic(s). A "dab" in the affected eye thrice daily for a minimum of 10 days is the usual recommended dosing. There isn't enough drug in a few licks to be significant.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Some background info: My cat got an electric shock when she touched a pole around 3 yrs back. Since recovery she has had a little heavy breathing. I can hear her breathing sound when she's asleep. Make me think as if there's a block or congestion in her nose.Can the watery eye problem be related to this?Regards,

I would have expected her eye to have become symptomatic much earlier than now. I can't relate her eye to a shock 3 years ago.