Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

He got caught on some barbed wire and has a clean slice - we

Customer Question

he got caught on some barbed wire and has a clean slice - we have cleaned it with betadine - but before I knew not to use hydrogen peroxide we used it first - I panicked I guess. He is walking carefully but the wound is long an open. We are new to the area in the last month - so do not have a vet here yet.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the cat bleeding a lot?
Customer: not at all
JA: Phew. What is the cat's name?
Customer: tank
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about tank?
Customer: he's eating ok, jumping up on the bed, drinking water. I just want to be sure that the peroxide I used isn't going to hurt him long term. I guess it's too late to do anything about it, but the wound is clean. Can I just keep cleaning it with diluted betadine?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about Tank's injury. Where is the wound at? Can you post a picture of it? At this time, the use of hydrogen peroxide on cleaning that wound won't be a bad thing. Hydrogen peroxide is used by some to get cats to vomit, but I don't recommend this at all as it can be more irritating to the stomach. The use of a small amount on a wound shouldn't be a bad thing by any means. More importantly is taking care of the actual wound itself. I know you said you're new to the area and haven't gotten a vet yet. I would encourage calling the clinics in the area to see if one can see him today. The sooner a wound is addressed by a veterinarian, most of the time the better. If this wound is fresh, it needs to be seen in about 8 hours to allow it to be sutured shut. After that time, it may not be good to close due to drying out.