Jess K
Jess K, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

My cat has been trying to use the litter box and straining

Customer Question

My cat has been trying to use the litter box and straining hard but nothing is happening
I think he may be constipated but I'm not 100% sure. He cries out in pain when he lies down and seems to be very week
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Duke, he's about 5 yrs old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Duke?
Customer: Nothing I can think of
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 4 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am so sorry to hear about Duke. Is this a boy cat?

Do you know if he has urinated today?

Oftentimes owners mistake a cat trying to have a bowel movement/being constipated, for a cat who is straining to urinate. Male cats can develop a life threatening condition called urethral obstruction where a blockage becomes present in the urethra (the tube that carries urine from the bladder to the outside via the penis) and they are unable to urinate. This is an emergency situation and can become life threatening. I would highly recommend getting your cat to an emergency vet right now unless you are absolutely certain that he is still urinating. This is not something that can wait until your vet reopens tomorrow if he has a urinary obstruction.

Expert:  Jess K replied 4 months ago.

Here is an article describing this condition in cats: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1111.

Once again, it is considered an emergency situation.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. If you do not, please take a moment to CLICK AND RATE

Expert:  Jess K replied 4 months ago.

our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question. Thank you and best of luck to you and your kitty!