Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

My cat will be 17 years old in September. For the past 4

Customer Question

My cat will be 17 years old in September. For the past 4 months, he has been screaming at night on and off. I have tried to put him on the bed but he jumps off and continues to scream in the room. Then he goes down stars and screams some more..
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about will?
Customer: Today at around 10:00 am, he was screaming downstairs. I went down and saw him straining in the litter pan, defecating and vomiting. He has a senior wellness check around 4 months ago and his blood was OK but he had lost some weight. His creatne (?) had gone up and was outside the normal. I am thinking that the screaming may be an expression of pain that is somehow tied to his eating. He only eats soft food. The screaming seems to coincide with my serving of fresh cans.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry to hear about your cat screaming so much. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

There are many causes of nighttime screaming in older cats. One is hyperthyroidism. When he went to your vet, do you know if he was tested for thyroid function?

High blood pressure, pain, dementia/senility are other causes of screaming. Having his blood pressure checked might be a good idea. A course of pain/anti inflammatory medication such as buprenorphine or prednisolone might be something to try. Melatonin is a safe supplement that can help induce sleeping at night; he could take 3 to 6 mg at bedtime.

When you serve fresh cans, is the food room temperature, but usually an open can is refrigerated? If eating food that is cold does not make him scream and eating room temperature food does, it might be his teeth, or mouth pain, or just personal preference.

Let me know what other questions I can answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

I hope you were able to see my response; I have not heard back from you! How is your cat doing? Was this helpful and and can I answer any more questions?