August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS, Own Animal Care/Rescue Org
Experience:  Dogs, Cats, Critters; Animal Care author; Behavior & Nutrition.;Cert. Avian & Opossum Specialist;

I have been feeding a stray cat for several months he comes

Customer Question

I have been feeding a stray cat for several months he comes and goes. I took him to the vet because one day he threw up and have severe diarrhea. In the past 8 months he has eaten
Large quantiles of food but has only put on .3 ounces. He has feline AIDS. His appetite has gone way down sometimes only licking the liquid portion. He continues to have soft runny stool. I have spent quite a lot on this cat in vet bills,which is ok but I need to know about
His pain. I'm a nurse and have treated hiv in people but with this cat I cannot tell. I will help him for as long as he is not suffering. How will I know? We have always had dogs and I always knew when they were not well. This cat from the time he started to come inside for visits ( took 6 months)he has been a shadow to me. He trusts me or is he trying to tell me something?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  August Abbott, CAS replied 2 months ago.

With animals like this one sure symptom of pain is non eating. Since he's still eating I'd say the pain level is low enough. With that said, I've been through this disease way too many times. It's cruel and it's tragic and it will rip YOU apart watching this beautiful creature fade and waste.

It won't be long, given what you're seeing, before that "kindest shot" needs to be administered and let him go in peace

His sticking close to you is probably both instinct to let his mate take the lead and be a sort of protector while he is fading, and partly because somehow he knows it will be you to end his suffering. I know that's giving far too much sentience to him, but I've seen what I've seen and right now so are you

You'll know when it's time. When his day is less joy and interest and becomes mostly despondence and disinterest - it's a chore to keep living and there's no point. We have the ability to be loving and help them go gently

Thank you for what you're doing

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?