Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I have tnr cats I care for and need advice for skin

Customer Question

Hi I have tnr cats I care for and need advice for skin irritation. I noticed it after last year during the summer when new mulch was placed around my apartment complex. this summer I noticed it getting progressively worst. I have tried to bathing them with a flea shampoo when I can catch them, and that seems to irritate them more. I have tried using a flea comb and I do not see anything... there is now excessive licking that leads to more redness...trying to help them looking for something topical that I can purchase...but getting them to a vet or in a container is not at this time even possible.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee ones today.

First, I would note that if you can handle them though not transport them, you could always have a mobile vet (or a local vet do a house call) come to them to have them seen to. Otherwise, if they are showing irritation and are on monthly flea treatment (just to rule fleas out this time of year), I would suggest using an OTC antihistamine with them. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.25mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce any allergic irritation. Alternatively, you can also use Cetirizine (just 5mg for a cat) once daily. For either, we like to keep the dose low, since it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, these shouldn't be used if your wee ones have any known health issues or are on any other medication without speaking to your vet first. And I'd note that this would be easier to use then an OTC hydrocortisone cream or spray since those would just be licked off and would struggle to soothe all of the skin for them.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.
Hi Debby,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.