Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.

I have a cat that has hade the runs everyday for a year what

Customer Question

I have a cat that has hade the runs everyday for a year what can I do about it .
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your cat, Jerry. A methodical and thorough approach to such a chronic diarrhea usually will determine the cause and how it might be addressed. Here's my protocol for cats such as she:

1) Presumptively treat for gastrointestinal parasites with 3 consecutive days of fenbendazole. Fenbendazole is effective against all of the common nematodes (roundworms, hookworms, whipworms) as well as the protozoan Giardia. It's available over the counter in pet/feed stores as well as from her vet/ Routine fecal ova and parasite exams are too often falsely negative; hence, the need for presumptive treatment. If a positive change isn't seen...

2) Have a diagnostic panel of blood/urine tests performed. The panel should contain a specCPL blood test which is the most specific of the blood tests for identifying the presence of pancreatitis. It should also contain a TLI blood test which is the gold standard for detecting exocrine pancreatic insufficiency - a failure of the pancreas to produce enough digestive enzymes (maldigestion). To be very complete, serum vitamin B12 and folate levels should be performed as well. Malabsorption disorders (digested food isn't being absorbed properly) are suggested by lower than normal serum levels of these micronutrients. If nothing untoward is found...

3) Consider a food intolerance. Food intolerance/allergy is addressed with prescription hypoallergenic diets. These special foods contain just one novel (rabbit, duck, e.g.) animal protein or proteins that have been chemically altered (hydrolyzed) to the point that her immune system doesn't "see" anything to be allergic to. The over the counter hypoallergenic foods too often contain proteins not listed on the label - soy is a common one - and these proteins would confound our evaluation of the efficacy of the hypoallergenic diet. The prescription foods are available from her vet. There are many novel protein foods and a prototypical hydrolyzed protein food is Hill’s Prescription Diet z/d ultra (my preference because it avoids the possibility of her being intolerant to even a novel protein). A positive response is usually seen within a few weeks if we’ve eliminated the offending food allergen. Food intolerance can arise at any age and even after our patient has been eating the same food for quite some time. If such a dietary trial isn't helpful...

4) Abdominal ultrasound (which is particularly sensitive in evaluating the gastrointestinal tract itself) and/or scoping and biopsy of her gastrointestinal tract is indicated. We're looking for inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) or lymphangectasia - a protein-losing enteropathy - mainly.

The order in which the above is performed isn't written in stone; instead, your vet and you can decide how to proceed. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Hi Jerry,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jerry R Schmit. How is everything going?