Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.

My cat Panther has oral cancer that seems to have spread to

Customer Question

my cat Panther has oral cancer that seems to have spread to his throat. I know he is terminal and I have him in a sort of hospice her. He does not seem to be in overt pain but I can see his mouth makes him uncomfortable. He still has some enjoyment. Went in the backyard a little today. I hold and rock him most of the day which he enjoys. I called the vet to ask for a painkiller for him. They told me there are no pain killers that are good for cats. He tales a full dosage of steroids now which I rub in his ear each day. I know they think I just put him down. I've looked for a vet that would do it here at home because it is so stressful for him to go to the vet and I don't want his last moments to be fearful. I reasearched and see that cats can take Tramadol. I would like to know what dosage a cat who is about 11 pounds now would take. I know he only has a short time and if he can pass away painlessly and naturally here at home that would be what I want for him. WE don't have any vet oncologists in the area. Panther is just about 15 yrs old
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the?
Customer: no
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Panther. I believe there was a miscommunication. Narcotic analgesics are available for cats. Buprenorphine would be ideal for Panther because it can be placed between his cheek teeth and cheek where it's then absorbed through the mucous membranes of the mouth. Tramadol can be useful as well but needs to be swallowed to be effective. Current dosing recommendations for tramadol are 0.5-1 mg/lb every 12 hours. Some suggest that some cats may only need once daily doses; others suggest going as high as 2 mg/lb. It does have an unpleasant taste and dose avoidance may be an issue.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?