Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My cat just had Dental surgery; she is a 12-year-old

Customer Question

My cat just had Dental surgery; she is a 12-year-old Domestic Gray Shorthair Cat. My cat had (Tooth #304 Lower Level K9 tooth extracted). She had it done on the 25th of July 2016. Everything when well with the Surgery, according to my veterinarian. Today is Friday, July 29th, 2016, on Thursday morning The 28th around 09:00 AM Eastern time. My cat sneezed seven times in a row, then about five mins later another 3 or 4 more sneezes. Now she is sneezing about 15 times every 2 hours. Does this sound like my cat could, have a respiratory infection? I live in Connecticut, the time here is 03:30P.M. My Cat's Veterinarian office is closed right now.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 4 months ago.

Hi. M name is***** Thank you for your question. Do you feel that she's still eating and drinking well? Is Princess having any nasal discharge? Any eye discharge?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
She is starting to pick up on her eating and drinking. She doesn't seem to have a nasal discharge. In her left eye, she does have a history eye discharge, because, one time at one of her appointments with her veterinarian. I asked the veterinarian "why does she have all this leaking coming out of her eye", And my veterinarian said it is because she has no tear ducts. However, she does have a little bit more leakage than usual. I think?

Sorry for my delay. That is good that she's starting to pick up on her eating and drinking. Sometimes after a dental, they can be off due to discomfort from it. It is good that she's not having any nasal discharge. As far as the eye discharge, an obstructed lacrimal duct can be a persistent problem. Could her sneezing at this time be due to an upper respiratory infection? That is very possible. While at the clinic, her body was stressed and a little immune compromised and this may have let an infection flare up. I wouldn't feel that getting overly concerned at this time is needed. As long as there is no discharge from her nares and she's comfortable and eating / drinking ok, then most likely time and her immune system are needed to get her through this.