Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

What essential oils are safe for treating a six week old

Customer Question

What essential oils are safe for treating a six week old kitten for fleas or ticks? Thank you..
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question. Do you know which specific product was used on that previous kitten that had a seizure. The reason I ask this is that this is something that can happen if the wrong product is used. More specifically, if a dog flea product of a certain chemical basis is used on a cat. I see cases like this at my ER about once every couple months. This is an error in the use of the product in that it was used on the wrong species. There are numerous very safe and effective over the counter flea treatments that are available from your vet. I wouldn't use any essential oils as they are not going to be effective and actually have way more of a chance of causing a problem than a correctly dosed topical flea product.