Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat is part Sphinx /Devon Rex .. And has recently gotten

Customer Question

My cat is part Sphinx /Devon Rex .. And has recently gotten a pretty bad sunburn ... The scabs have been washed every third day and just wondering what might be used for moisturizer ?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about part?
Customer: His skin is red and a bit inflamed ... Although he is not scratching . I sooth him with witch hazel ... Patting the scabs.... Not sure if this is all sunburn but also part allergy
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Poor lad!

First, if he isn't itching then allergies are unlikely to be playing a role here. Still, we need to support that skin. So, in regards ***** ***** question, our safest option for moisturizing and helping the skin heal would be to use Vitamin E. You can just open a gel capsule of this and massage it into the skin. This cannot be overdosed and if he licks it will do no harm. Otherwise, we'd want to support the skin from the inside out, which we can do with Omega 3 fish oil (not cod liver oil though), or there are OTC veterinary products (ie Yumega, Viacutin) that can also support skin and coat health to aid in this time of skin compromise and healing.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He is healing.., the vitamin e and omega have helped...thanks for that .., I think some of this skin issue is allergy ...I feed strays in my yard (a cheaper food) and he loves the bad food.., so I think it's mostly the exposure to that plus the sun. I have grounded him and he's really mad... It took me almost an hour to get him in last night and he bolts the minute the door is open... It's a game ... Last night we put on a harness and had a talk.., but I don't think it was effective! thank you for your help
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

I can say it is always a challenge when we have to use tough love with our wee ones. Still, its ideal to have him in for at least the short term. Anyway, I am glad to hear that he is healing. Though if you suspect an allergy component and we cannot keep him away from the food (which can be tricky since food allergies take up to 6 weeks to clear after the offending item is eaten), you could trial him on an antihistamine as well. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.25mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce any allergic irritation. Alternatively, you can also use Cetirizine (just 5mg for a cat) once daily. For either, we like to keep the dose low, since it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, these shouldn't be used if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.

Best wishes and keep up the good work,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )