Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My senior citizen 15-year-old male neutered cat,2 days ago

Customer Question

My senior citizen 15-year-old male neutered cat,2 days ago hiding in the basement now today has started to spend lot of time in the bathtub, a new and odd behavior for him. He's eating and drinking, voiding and stooling. He just not seem to be in pain anywhere, we're just worried. Thanks
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) When did Bob last have blood work performed?
2) Any illnesses in his past?
3) Was he just laying in the tub or urinating?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He had had senior lab work in the past 8-9 months. Up to date on immunizations. No illness, remote history urinary problems. On dry food for " urinary health". Can food once a day. No voiding in the tub. I pal payed around on his abdomen.... No lumps/bumps. Nothing that seemed to cause pain. In the past when he has had UTI and has urinated other places than the cat box it was a "clue" as then there was blood in the urine. Using the cat box and just finished eating. Thanks

This very well could just be somewhere he likes hanging out, but coupled with the hiding in the basement I'm apt to believe there is more to it. We often see that cats with urinary (be it bladder, kidney, etc) issues will start hanging out around water sources like bathtubs, toilets, sinks, etc. If his symptoms continue, I would recommend getting him in to see your vet again for a urinalysis and also blood work to ensure no problems are present. You'll also want to keep an extra close eye on his bathroom habits. I suspect that you may have caught this early and if a UTI is lurking that the inappropriate urination is going to start soon.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800