Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My cat is 16 years old stands there ,doesnt move with lower

Customer Question

my cat is 16 years old stands there ,doesnt move with lower back down .does not respond to me
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Can you post video or pictures of what you're seeing at home?
2) When did this begin?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it has happaned 2times today once wednesday
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
she also does it when she lays down.

Any pictures or video to share so that I may see what you're seeing?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
no

Without pictures or video, it's very hard to know what it is that you're seeing. At 16 years of age, it would not be uncommon for us to see that some arthritis has set in and that may be part of the reason that you're seeing these episodes of her back end being down. I have to wonder with spondylitis or another spinal/joint affliction might be the reason that you're seeing these symptoms.

I would recommend having her examined by a veterinarian who will likely want to do some blood work and also x-rays to see if there are any abnormalities that can be detected. At 16, we must also worry about cancer and underlying health problems like kidney disease, hyperthyroidism, diabetes, liver concerns, etc. that can manifest in unexpected manners. If she hasn't had blood work in the last 4-6 months, this would definitely be recommended.

In the interim, I would place her in an area where she cannot jump onto or fall off of surfaces that are high. A bathroom or empty closet or large dog kennel would be ideal. Most certainly she should not be allowed outside, around any stairs, etc. for risk of being unable to move quickly or falling and being unable to aid herself before impact.