Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.

My cat stops eating. then the vomiting and diarrhea start.

Customer Question

My cat stops eating. then the vomiting and diarrhea start. She is being treated by a vet who said it's her pancreas or IBS. She has just been through steroids, antibiotics, and four B12 shots. A food will work for awhile, but then we go through the cycle all over again. She loses weight and sleeps a lot. She is nearly 11 years old.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your cat?
Customer: She's had bloodwork done recently: IDEXX TLI/Cobal./Fol.-Feline and a fecal sample taken. She is spayed; she was rescued from a shelter five and a half years ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your cat. Can youtell me, please, how long she has been cycling in this manner? Pancreatitis and/or inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) are certainly important differential diagnoses. I suspect that her specFPL blood test showed an equivocal change which may or may not indicate pancreatitis. Can you upload a copy of her test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy at home but her vet can give you one which you can scan into your computer and then give me the file link or you can photograph the pages and upload them by using the paperclip icon (if you can see that icon) or by using an external app such as

When diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests reveal nothing untoward in these cats, abdominal ultrasound should be considered. Ultrasound is particularly sensitive when investigating the gastrointestinal tract itself. We're primarily interested in seeing if the inflammation associated with IBD is present but also if IBD may have transmuted into small cell lymphoma - a common sequela of IBD. We're also looking for mastocytosis and solid tumors such as gastrointestinal adenocarcinoma. Scoping and biopsy of my patient's GI tract then remains the only diagnostic to consider. It's the only manner in which to confirm many GI disorders. Our hope, however, is that ultrasound and/or presumptive therapy will suffice and such invasive testing can be avoided.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Hi Sheri,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?