PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

My friend sat on my cat and I'm worried that she might have

Customer Question

My friend sat on my cat and I'm worried that she might have broken her hip
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the cat?
Customer: She seems like she is in pain when I touch her or try to move her her breathing gets heavy- also she isn't really walking much
JA: Did the cat have a fall?
Customer: No - but a friend of my accidentally sat on her
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. It might be a fracture. The Veterinarian will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?
Customer: I have x-rays I can email the vet
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
These are X-rays
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I took her to the vet - seemed unconcerned because she was still supporting herself at that time. Since then she has become weaker in the back right leg and limping more prominently.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
These X-rays were take on Saturday last week
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Did they place her on any medications?
2) Did she have any neurological deficits at the time?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No medications and no neurological deficits.

The first thing I would recommend is contacting your vets office and asking about pain medication like oral buprenorphine or tramadol. Something along these lines may improve the symptoms you're seeing as you're treating discomfort that she may be experiencing. I suspect pain is very likely with the deep breathing that you describe when she's handled.

Because she's also had a worsening of symptoms, a recheck evaluation would also be smart. If she didn't have neurological deficits before, she may now. The x-rays give us information on the bones themselves but don't tell us if a nerve has been pinched or has become inflamed (worsening with time). Ligament issues may also be a concern.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How would the ligaments and nerves be evaluated?

Thank you for your reply, JACustomer. I didn't receive notification from the website you had replied, so I apologize for the delay.

Ligaments often require sedation and deep palpation. I've seen cats who have suffered ligament tears or ruptures from being sat on or otherwise crushed. It does happen.

As well, nerves are a bit harder. On this on your vet would want to do another exam to see if deficits were present. Often times if they are we can confirm some nerve damage.