Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian
Experience:  emergency and critical care resident
95200773

My cat has been licking the juice and leaving the food in

Customer Question

My cat has been licking the juice and leaving the food in her dish. I am trying to figure out the problem. Our vet is quite a ways a way.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Mocha. She is 14
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mocha?
Customer: She throws up quite a lot and keeps meowing for the food.
JA: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did Mocha eat anything unusual?
Customer: No, but she does love to eat her hair.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 4 months ago.

I am sorry your kitty does not seem to be feeling well. She is probably licking at the food because she is hungry but unable to eat most likely due to nausea. Since there are lots of things that can cause a cat Mocha's age to vomit, a thorough vet exam and possibly even blood work or imaging (X-rays or ultrasound) may be recommended. While it is possible that she has a hairball that is causing her discomfort and not passing through normally, it may also be that she has another primary GI condition, dental disease or oral ulcerations causing her pain and reluctance to chew, stomach ulcers or pain, food aversion from being ill previously, or a metabolic condition that is causing her to not want to eat normally. Unfortunately, vomiting and not eating are vague symptoms and can signal many different things.

Because there are many things that can cause vomiting and lack of appetite, the best recommendation I can make is to schedule an appointment with your veterinarian to have Mocha thoroughly evaluated. In the meantime, you can reduce her chances of having additional problems related to hairballs by brushing her regularly to remove all the loose hair that she can inadvertently pick up while she is grooming.

Did this address your concerns about Mocha tonight?