Jennifer Van Noy
Jennifer Van Noy,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Riverside Animal Hospital

My 16 year old cat eats continually yet he is so thin you

Customer Question

my 16 year old cat eats continually yet he is so thin you can count his backbones. what could be wrong??
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Jennifer Van Noy replied 3 months ago.

I’m Dr. Jenn and I’m a licensed veterinarian with 18 years of experience. I’m here to help with your question about Pixy Bob.

I’m so sorry you’re having this problem, but glad you’re looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you’re satisfied with the information I’ve provided. I’ll do my best to earn your good rating, because that’s the only way I receive any compensation for helping you.

In order to help me help you better, I’ll need a little more information. To start with, please tell me:

• How is Pixy Bob acting otherwise?
  • Are you noticing an increase in water intake or urine output?
  • How long has Pixy Bob been losing weight?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
going outside of litter box. losing weight for several months. drinks after eating not excess.

There are several diseases we commonly see in older cats. With the history you give about Pixy Bob, two come to mind right away. Hyperthyroidism and Diabetes. I will send you links to more information about both-

There are other diseases that we see in cats, but if I do an exam on an older kitty that is losing weight, but still eating well (and no concurrent vomiting or diarrhea), those are the first two that come to mind. I typically start with bloodwork- a CBC, Chemistry panel, and a T4 reading. The chemistry panel will give us a blood glucose reading. If it is elevated, we have our diagnosis of diabetes. The T4 helps us diagnose hyperthyroidism. Other diagnostics may also be warranted such as a blood pressure reading. Many of the hyperthyroid cats will also have hypertension. A fully chemistry panel and CBC are useful to make sure we aren't dealing with any other concurrent issues such as underlying kidney disease or anemia. Both diseases are controllable. I would recommend starting with a thorough exam by your vet and bloodwork. Your vet may recommend other diagnostics based on the exam findings.

I hope this information was helpful to you.

I am here for you and am happy to discuss your question until you are satisfied with the answer I’ve provided. You may return to this page at any time to review this information and/or post more. You may do so even after you’ve rated my response. I’ll be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help you. If you are satisfied with the information I’ve provided, please take a moment to rate my response. I’ve done my best to provide you the most accurate, thorough, and up-to-date information that is available, and your positive feedback is important to me. Without it, I receive no compensation for helping you. If you are not satisfied, please let me know how else I may be of assistance. Thank you for using our website.

Expert:  Jennifer Van Noy replied 2 months ago.
Hi Regina,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Pixy Bob. How is everything going?

Jennifer Van Noy