Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

Can a maine coo cat be trained not to bie and sratch when he

Customer Question

can a maine coo cat be trained not to bie and sratch when he is playing
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Cher replied 2 months ago.

Hello, Margie and welcome.

How old is your Maine Coon?

How long have you had him and where did you get him from?

Has he always done this biting and scratching when playing, or is it a recent behavior?

Is he an only pet?

How do you react when he exhibits this behavior?

Thanks for all your additional information and after you reply, please allow me some time to compose and send your answer.

Warmest regards,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I just foster him to adopt but everynight when he sists to me on the couch and I start to pet him he grabs my arm with tis pours and hero is one year old I had him for 2weeks I got from a shelter it called tavi and friends it in Oceanside longisland I payed 125.00 he was vet check all his test are negative yes he has always doing biteing and scrarthing when he does to me I say no and walking away or I will go get his toys so he can play with them he was with a family for a few months and they brought hie to the shelter for the same reasons
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't if I can him he really is a big baby
Expert:  Cher replied 2 months ago.

Hi again, Margie and thanks for your very helpful reply about Hero.

Typically, most cats will use their teeth and claws while playing, because it's instinctive and they may not have been socialized properly by their mom and/or siblings and taught not to do this.

When he uses teeth and claws while playing, you are doing the right thing by walking away, after telling him 'no' (don't yell, just say it firmly); stay out of the room for about 5 minutes and then return and if he does it again, leave the room, again. If you are consistent in this, he will get the idea and realize he would rather have your company than bite and scratch during play.

I'm glad you have toys for him, but don't give them to him right away, after biting and scratching, or he will think it is a reward and that behavior is acceptable. Wait a while, and then bring out his toys.

You may need to enrich his environment with a tall kitty condo or cat tree and the list of toys below, he will LOVE! Especially the foraging toy; this fills the instinct for hunting, pouncing, and catching prey, like cats who live outside. He will also receive a treat, when you fill it with his dry food, but don't let him overeat with this toy. Here are the toys and even a cat dvd:

Yes, at a year old, HE is a big baby, but you've only had him for a short while, so you CAN train him not to bite and scratch with the method above and also, while you're sitting on the couch, you can gently push him away with a pillow, when he gets too wild.

"Fat Cat", one of the companies in my list, makes a 'kickaroo;' this toy can be kicked at with the back paws (you know how they love to do that) and he can hold it like he holds your arm. And you can also get him some cat chew toys--but make sure they're for cats only and not dogs.

As long as you are patient and consistent with your behavior modification, he will learn; as he gets older he will 'mellow' and learn not to do this.

The fact that he's been in a shelter and at other homes, is stressful for him and that plays a part in this, too. You can try some Feliway- a plug in diffuser that emits cat calming pheromones. Here is more information:

I hope this helped and you will start seeing a positive change in Hero's behavior, soon!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed.

Warmest regards,

Expert:  Cher replied 2 months ago.

Hello again, Margie.

I'm just checking in with you to see how everything is going with Hero and if you found my answer helpful. Please let me know. Thanks!

If you need any additional information please don't hesitate to reply back.

Warmest wishes,

Expert:  Cher replied 2 months ago.
Hi Margie,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?