Jennifer Welsh
Jennifer Welsh,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Banfield Pet Hospital

My cat is 14 years old and has never had any health issues.

Customer Question

My cat is 14 years old and has never had any health issues. For the last week or so she's been losing weight and for the last couple days she's been breathing fast. Not panting though. does this sound like something that's treatable?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Jennifer Welsh replied 3 months ago.

Hello! I am Dr Welsh and I am happy to help with your questions today. I am sorry that your kitty isn't feeling well. Let's see if we can get to the bottom of this. I have just a few additional questions for you so that I can make the best recommendation.

has she been to the vet recently?

is she eating and drinking normally?

any coughing or exercise intolerance (not walking around/playing as much, laying down a lot)

hiding at all?

any current meds?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Never been to a vet. She hasn't been eating regularly. No coughing but yes laying around a lot and hiding under the bed

Ok thank you for that additional information. Unfortunately, the breathing, hiding, and not eating well are all suggestive of heart disease that is worsening. I would 100% take her to the vet asap. Ideally if you could do it tonight that would be great, especially with the increased breathing. Top on my list is heart disease, particularly heart failure. If caught early enough with meds and support can significanty improve it and manage it fairly well (in most cases, depending on primary cause).

there are other things that could be causing issues like kidney or thyroid disease, but heart disease is going to be top on my list. the increased breathing leads me to believe there may be fluid in the lungs that is causing her not to be able to oxygenate as well as she should. if it is primary heart disease then meds and treatment should get her feeling much better. (my only concern would be if it is a mass in the chest or spread from another area then may not be as responsive to treatment). however, need to get her seen asap so that we can get some treatment on board and get her headed in the right direction!

does that make sense? do you have any other questions I can answer?

If there isn't anything else then I wish you and kitty the best! Please feel free to continue asking questions if you have more!

Otherwise, thank you for reaching out today. I hope that I have answered your questions completely. If you are happy with my service, please provide a rating when you exit so that the website can compensate me for our time (3* or higher). If you are having difficulties with the site rating, you can type excellent,good,fair. If you are not satisfied, I'd be happy to continue our conversation.

Expert:  Jennifer Welsh replied 2 months ago.
Hi Bill,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Church. How is everything going?

Jennifer Welsh