Jennifer Welsh
Jennifer Welsh,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Banfield Pet Hospital
2235453

Should I put my siamese mix cat down? She is 20 years old

Customer Question

should I put my siamese mix cat down? She is 20 years old and a outside cat and has mange skin lesions - would this be more humane?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Jennifer Welsh replied 8 months ago.

Hello! I am Dr Welsh and I am happy to help with your questions today. I am sorry that Foxy isn't feeling well. Let's see if we can get to the bottom of this. I have just a few additional questions for you so that I can make the best recommendation.

when was the last time kitty saw the vet?

are we treating the skin lesions?

is she eating and drinking ok?

otherwise acting normal?

any current meds or illness?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
She is VERY SKITTISH and I have never taken her to the vet - she is impossible to catch to take anywhere. She was my daughters cat as a kitten and my daughter had her neutered. We have treated the first lesion with neosporin and then it looked worse and the next day she appeared with a second lesion and again we treated with neosporin and it did not appear any better-even worse. However, she does lick these spots. Yes she is eating and drinking ok, however she looks thinner. She is acting very miserable and not well at all. No current meds or illness.

thank you for that additional information. With her being outside I would be concerned for mange, ringworm, bacterial infection, flea dermatitis, etc. unfortunately, there is probably not very much you can do at home since the neosporin isn't working. I think at this time it would be best to get her to the vet to be evaulated. If she is tame enough to get a cream on her, i think you would be able to treat her skin infections. you can rent or borrow a live trap from the humane society or animal shelter if you are unable to get her into a carrier. i don't think that there is a reason to put her down just due to a skin lesion. this is likely treatable. however, with the weight loss it would be a good idea to run some bloodwork on her to make sure it isn't her kidneys or thyroid (also very treatable). I think if she is eating and drinking, then we should look to treat the lesions, not put her down at this point. i think you could likely treat her lesions and she can continue to live good quality of life.

(again hard to say because over the internet i cant see the lesions, but usually skin is pretty treatable!)

does that make sense? what else can I answer for you?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
What is the life span of a cat of her breed and lifestyle (outdoor)? Keep in mind that she is 20 years old!

If she truly is 20 then she's likely on borrowed time. with that said, age is not a disease. i've seen cats live to 25-28, etc. if she has something that is treatable, I would rather treat it and see how long she can live :)

is there anything else I can answer for you today?

Expert:  Jennifer Welsh replied 7 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Foxy. How is everything going?

Jennifer Welsh