Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 23 years. Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

She didn't run to the food bowl as usual yesterday. Noticed

Customer Question

Hi - She didn't run to the food bowl as usual yesterday. Noticed she didn't want to eat or drink. She slept next to me all night, but seemed lethargic. I woke up at 5am and she had a wet spot under her butt area... but it didn't smell like pee.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: I called the emergency vet in my neighborhood and they said that it was fine to wait until 2PM to bring her in (I had set an appointment for her).
JA: How old is The?
Customer: She is 6yrs old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about The?
Customer: Not that I'm aware of
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Candy replied 3 months ago.

Hello. I am sorry to hear your girl has you worried. My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help.

Just to be clear she has not eaten or drank since yesterday correct?

How is she acting now, will she get up and walk around if prompted?

What color are her gums, are they nice and pink like yours or pale or white in color?

Does she go outside?

Is she spayed?

Have you noticed her licking her vaginal area or her bottom?

Any chance she got in to anything toxic including medications, plants, chemicals etc?

Is she on any prescription or over the counter meds?

Any recent application of flea prevention?

She has a scheduled appointment today correct?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi -She has not eaten or drank anything yesterday or this morning.
She wandered to her food & water bowls when we poured some in... she was curious but hesitated.
Her gums are pink.
She does not go outside.
She is not spayed.
She did not lick those areas.
Nothing toxic.
She is not on prescription.
No recent flea prevention.
Yes to appointment today.
Expert:  Candy replied 3 months ago.

Thank you. Could you just check one more thing for me ? Can you look at her vaginal area and see if it looks wet or if you can see any discharge?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
There was just liquid that came out on the bed, however does not smell like urine.
Expert:  Candy replied 3 months ago.

Thank you. Please give me just a few moments to type up your answer.

Expert:  Candy replied 3 months ago.

In an unspayed animal when we see liquid coming form the vaginal area that leaves a wet spot coupled with loss of appetite and lethargy we worry about what is called a pyometra. This is an infection in the uterus. When this happens it can become life threatening rather quickly and the only way to resolve this is an emergency spay. The following link provide additional information on Pyometras in cats. Link

It could also be that she has a urinary tract infection or kidney infection. In some cases when this is the problem they pass urine more frequently so it is not as concentrated as normal so it may not have a odor.

Cats unlike dogs do not stop eating unless they are ill or very stressed. When a cat stops eating this has a direct impact on their liver.

It's a good thing that you have an appointment for her today. Some things you can expect when you go in are the following.

1. Urinalysis- This will allow your vet to look for signs of infection or problems like urinary crystals.

2. X rays. Because she is not spayed your vet may want to do an x ray to see if there are any signs of fluid collection in the uterus which would indicate infection.

3. Blood work. Your vet will likely want to do blood work to look at the blood glucose levels and the kidney values.

Of course there are other common problems such as pancreatitis that can cause them to stop eating but this would not explain the wet spot unless she was just feeling to bad to get up to use the litter box.

I hope this helps give you some direction and information on what to expect when you see the vet today. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue.

If you have no additional questions please take a few moments to provide a rating . Rating indicates that you are finished with this session and prompts Justanswer to compensate me for assisting you today. I am not compensated for my time until you provide a rating.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you! She just drank some water! Hesitated on the dry food but wanted to. I'm going to get wet food to see if that changes her mind.
Expert:  Candy replied 3 months ago.

Perfect. Try some smelly wet food like a fish based, if she turns her nose up at that you can try chicken baby food just check the ingredients to be sure there is no onion or garlic.

Expert:  Candy replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?