Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

My cat is 9 yrs old and has mrgacolon.She has been ok a year

Customer Question

my cat is 9 yrs old and has mrgacolon.She has been ok for almost a year but recently had an enema which led to a bout of diarrhea.She wants to eat and seems fine but hasn.t made a poop in 4 days.I preder not to take her for another enema.Just gave her Laxatone with snall amount of food
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Gigi
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Gigi?
Customer: She has had chronic constipation but i manage with miralax,and grain free food and other aids to keep her going.At this point I am looking for more advice
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 months ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear about Gigi's situation. The megacolon situations are ones that can be managed in a lot of cases with appropriate oral laxatives. The use of the laxation itself may not be enough for her. Using an additional laxative like lactulose or miralax can help to soften the stools to keep them passing. In her situation, is she not passing stools in the past 4 days as fecal material is building up - getting more formed as it was diarrhea prior to that? Could she be getting constipated again? Honestly, the best thing to do is to have your vet recheck her so they can know if she needs an adjustment in her treatment. If she's constipated, she isn't going to get better with just the Laxation.

Sorry about that auto correct with the "Laxation" meant to say Laxatone. HERe is a great link on megacolon and constipation.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?